Kinetic theory of gases
This assignment contains all important questions of the chapter kinetic theory of gases
KINETIC THEORY OF GASES
- What are the basic assumptions of kinetic theory of gases ? on their basis, derive an expression for the pressure exerted by an ideal gas.
- What is meant by degrees of freedom? State the law of equipartition of energy. Hence calculate the values of molar specific heats at constant volume and pressure for monoatomic , diatomic and triatomic gases.
- Calculate the kinetic energy of one mole of argon at 127⁰ given that N =6.02×1023 mol and k=1.381 x10-23 mol-1K-1
- Calculate the number of degrees of freedom for one mole of diatomic gas at N.T.P
- Calculate the number of degrees of freedom of 1 cm3 of helium gas at N.T.P.
- A vessel contains argon gas at 127⁰ find the average kinetic energy of argon molecule, if Boltzmann’s constant, k=1.38 x 10-23 j mol -1 K-1
- Calculate the total kinetic energy of 1g of helium at 27⁰C Given that R =8.31 mole -1 K-1.
- At what temperature is the r.m.s velocity of a hydrogen molecule equal to that of a oxygen molecule at 47⁰C ?
- Give the kinetic interpretation of temperature and define absolute temperature.
- 10. If three molecules have velocities 0.5,1 and 2km s-1 respectively, calculate the relation between the root mean square speed and average speed.
- 11. Calculate the temperature at which the r.m.s velocity of a hydrogen will be equal to 8km/hr. given that R =8.31 j mole -1.
- 12.Calculate the r.m.s velocity of CO2 molecules at N.T.P. given, R=8.31 j mol -1 K-1 .
- 13. Calculate the r.m.s velocity of hydrogen at N.T.P. given that density of the gas is 9×10-5 g cm -3.
- 14. Find the temperature at which the root mean square velocity of a gas is double than that its value at 0 ⁰C , pressure remaining constant.
- 15. The molar gas volume at S.T.P. is 22.4 litre and Avogadro number is 6.023×1023. (a) calculate the number of gas molecules per unit volume,
- 16. Draw a graph to show the variation of V2 rms with absolute temperature .
- 17. When an ideal gas undergoes an isothermal expansion, the pressure of the gas in the encloser falls. Why?
- 18. Two identical cylinders contains helium at 2.5 atmosphere and organ at 1 atmosphere. Find pressure if both the gases are filled in one of the cylinders?
- 19. The temperature of argon, kept in vessel, is raised by 1⁰C at constant volume. The total heat supplied to the gas is a combination of translational energies. Find their respective shares.
- 20. A gas mixture consist of 2 moles of oxygen and 4 moles of argon at temperature T. find total internal energy of the system, when vibrational modes are rejected.